Babachir Lawal: Senate activates shameful fall of Buhari’s SGF following abusive remarks
Following the harsh reaction of the Secretary to Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal to senate’s call for his sack and prosecution, the Senate Thursday further reiterated their commitment to expulse him with immediate effect.
In a point of order raised by Senator Dino Melaye (Kogi West, APC), the senate expressed displeasure over the use of abusive words by the SGF in reacting to the call by the Senate.
“The use of gutter language against men that are described as distinguished by a mere appointee by the President, saying we are talking rubbish and barbadash is unacceptable,” said Dino.
Senate deputy majority leader, Ibn Na’Allah joined ties with fellow lawmakers to condemn the use of abusive words on members of the senate by the SGF, stating this was a clear pointer to his incompetence and misfit to the office he occupies.
“The 8th senate should be happy with the reply of the SGF because it has apparently shown that he is lacking in capacity and competence to occupy the office he so occupies,” said Na’Allah.
In a similar response, Senate President Bukola Saraki lamented that the use of derogatory remarks by the SGF on the senate was inappropriate and unable, adding that formal process will be followed to notify the President for necessary sanctions to be applied.
“This is very serious because it bothers on the integrity of this institution … How can his [the President’s] own Secretary can tell us we are talking rubbish?” lamented Saraki.
The Senate, earlier on Wednesday called for the resignation and prosecution of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, David Babachir Lawal over infractions involving public procurement, particularly, contract awards by the Presidential Initiative on North East, PINE.
Following the Interim Report of The Senate’s Ad-Hoc Committee on Mounting Humanitarian Crisis in #NorthEast, the Senate indicted the SGF of sharp practices in expending the funds meant for alleviating the sufferings of the displaced in North East as well as other sharp practices.
According to the report, Lawal allegedly owns one of the companies awarded contracts in the rehabilitation of the North-East. It said Lawal resigned from the directorship of the company in September 2016 but was still a signatory to the company’s account.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.